What are the Causes for Hamstring Pain?
Straining of hamstring can be due to tearing of the muscle fibres as well as excessive stretching of the muscles fibres and the associated tissues. The reason for hamstring strain could be any of the following:
- Poor stretching of the muscles and warming up of the muscles before exercising.
- The weakness of the muscles especially of the weak glutes. The hamstrings and the glutes work together. In case the ‘glutes’ are weak, could be strained and overloaded.
- The quadriceps or the muscles located in front of the thigh become tight during the pulling of the pelvis forward and result in the tightening of the hamstrings.
- Recurrent injury in case the muscle has not healed from the past damage.
- Due to recurrent injury if the muscle has not healed from the previous damage.
- Hamstring strain can result due to wearing of poor footwear.
What are Symptoms of Hamstring Strain?
Hamstring strain can result in severe and sudden pain as a result of exercise along with the popping or snapping feeling. It even results in pain in the lower buttock or back of the thigh during walking, bending over or straightening of the leg. The other symptoms of hamstring strain are bruising and tenderness.
What is the Treatment of Hamstring Pain?
For diagnosing the hamstring strain, a physical therapist or doctor can confirm the diagnosis through the physical examination. She or he would ask the specific questions about the leg injury. In case of moderate and minor hamstrings strains, it heals on its own. For quick healing you could do the following activities:
- Rest Your Leg: Avoid putting any weight on your legs. In case the pain is excruciating, you would need crutches. Your physical therapist or doctor would recommend crutches.
- Apply Ice on Your Leg: For lowering your swelling and pain apply ice on your leg for about 20 to 30 minutes every 3 to 4 hours for about 2 to 3 days until your pain subsides.
- Compresses on the Leg: Use the elastic bandage to limit your swelling.
- Elevate the Leg: For lowering hamstring pain make use of the pillow while lying down or during sitting.
- Take the Anti-inflammatory Painkillers: You can take the NSAIDs such as naproxen or ibuprofen for lowering swelling and pain. These drugs do have adverse effects like ulcers and bleeding. They must be taken for ashort-term period unless prescribed by the doctor for a long
- Strengthening and Stretching Exercise: If your physical therapist or doctor recommends these exercises, you must do it for improvement.
With the right treatment, you can have the hamstring pain would be cured effectively
About Author: The author of this blog is a content marketer who formally worked at Fitness Advise. A writer by day and a reader by night, he loathes discussing himself in the third person but can be persuaded to do so from time to time.